Welcome! Let's Do Devotions Together!

Let's grow together!
Here's how God is using the daily readings from Jesus Calling to speak into my life.
What is He saying to YOU? Share it with someone & have a BLESSED day in Jesus!

Friday, October 1, 2010

Rest or Rush

"I am taking care of you! Rest in Me...this is a form of worship. Though self-flagellation has gone out of style, many of My children drive themselves like racehorses..(whipping) themselves into action, ignoring how exhausted they are... Worship Me by resting peacefully in My Presence." (288)
Sometimes we will wrestle with ourselves when it comes to resting. Somehow we've been conditioned to think that busyness is equated with productivity. We all know, that is not true. I've experienced some very hectic days with very little being accomplished.
Rushing around can leave me frazzled and frustrated.
However, it's been during my more restful days that I've been inspired to love, worship and serve God with new passion. Remembering that a "sabbath rest" was one of God's good ideas! (Smile)
Looking for that healthy balance between doing for Him and...
Being with Him...dmc

Happy 2nd Birthday to our delightful Emma Elizabeth! Grammy & Papa love you TONS!

3 comments:

  1. Any advice for us young moms who would love time to rest but don't have it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes...I remember those whirlwind days! I felt exhausted most of the time, I think.
    Several things that helped me...friends with kids who would trade off "kid-duty" so we moms could sporadically get a type of "sabbath."
    Also, a surrogate "Grandma" in the church offered to watch the boys two afternoons a month for me. Those were sanity "gifts" for me! I believe she was a "saint" and will have extra stars in her crown for loving our boys like her own! Any other good ideas???

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a child I memorized “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28 KJV) but I never thought of rest as worship! Today’s devotional is just for me. I feel overwhelmed by all the boxes to unpack, the cleaning, the laundry, the clutter and so many things that need to be done. I think I have driven myself most of my adult life. Although I’m “stuck” at home most of the time, my physical limitations slow me down so that I cannot accomplish nearly as much in a day as I could 20 years ago. Today and every day I need to worship by taking time to rest.

    In response to Leslie—I remember those days too. Recently we had the privilege of having our ten-year-old grandson and four-year-old granddaughter visit us for a week while their parents had a “second honeymoon”. Their two teenagers were gone for two weeks on a special Boy Scout trip. Since our son and his family live in Colorado we don’t get to spend much time with them so it was a wonderful experience for all of us. Was it exhausting? Yes. Was it worship? I think so. Families are so scattered in our time that children and their grandparents don’t have the strong bonds that were so important in years long past. If godly grandparents are able to give their children a break it can be a real blessing to all. It can be a few hours, a day, a week or whatever works. Our children never had that option but there were surrogate “aunts” and “grandmas” that were blessings to us all.

    ReplyDelete