Welcome! Let's Do Devotions Together!

Let's grow together!
Here's how God is using the daily readings from Jesus Calling to speak into my life.
What is He saying to YOU? Share it with someone & have a BLESSED day in Jesus!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Resonating with the Creator

"Watch your words diligently. Words have such great power to bless or to wound. When you speak carelessly or negatively, you damage others as well as yourself. This ability to verbalize is an awesome privilege, granted only to those I created in My image." (226)
Although I do not totally understand this, I know that all sound operates on frequencies, invisible to the eye, yet can be captured by the ear! As God's image-bearer, when my words are in agreement with Him, as an extension of His heart, something resonates deep within my soul. It's like every cell of my body is grateful when my words glorify God and bless others!
The voice I am most familiar with is my own. I must monitor it responsibly, making sure that my words are in concert with God's heart. When I voice words that are dissonant, or out-of-tune with my Creator, it scrambles the harmonies within me. I grow uneasy within myself and can sense I need to stop and "tune my heart to sing Thy grace." (Hymn: Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing)
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer." Psalm 19:14.
Longing to be synchronized & harmonized with His heart today...dmc

4 comments:

  1. For years I have thought about the many references to words and speech in the Bible. I grew up in a home where I never heard cursing or dirty language. In trying to teach my children, and now my grandchildren, to watch their words, it is difficult to ignore, filter or avoid the many inappropriate words and expressions used so commonly in our culture and in the media. “Mom, if you could hear some of the language that I hear in the halls at school you wouldn’t even notice the words I’m using!” one of my children said one day when I rebuked my child. “But I don’t believe Jesus would ever use such language”, I answered.
    As I read the devotional and related scriptures for today, my mind went directly to John 1:1 (KJV): “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” When I think that God created us in His image and we are the only ones with “this ability to verbalize”—Wow! What an “awesome privilege” AND responsibility. But there is so much more than cursing and dirty language. I need God’s help every minute of every day to help me use words that bless, encourage, and help others instead of the opposite effect. I desperately need help in communicating accurately—I seem to fall so short in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing I thought of today while reading this devo was Psalm 19:14. In fact this is the second time within a week that God has put this scripture on my heart.(Think he is telling me something?) What I really loved was the little prayer in the devo that I can use prior to opening my mouth and that is "Help me Holy Spirit."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely one lesson I am still working on. I am having to go back to someone today to apologize for something I said yesterday. I already knew I had to do it, but today's devo just made it more real and I know without a doubt that I have to go back and apologize to that person. If only I would pray every time I open my mouth!!!! That would definitely be "praying without ceasing"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a "word of wisdom" and conviction for me, too! I am praying for you today, Kay, as you make the apology...that it will be an extension of God's heart into all hearts involved.
    I am so grateful for partners who embrace such an honest walk with God!
    His Hugs to All!

    ReplyDelete