Welcome! Let's Do Devotions Together!

Let's grow together!
Here's how God is using the daily readings from Jesus Calling to speak into my life.
What is He saying to YOU? Share it with someone & have a BLESSED day in Jesus!

Friday, September 10, 2010

Crafted for Companionship

"I am always available to you... Sometimes you may feel distant from Me...that (is a) feeling...(not a) reality. The Bible is full of My promises to be with you always...to the very end of the age." Matt. 28:20 (265)
The devo for today is all about the companionship we have in Christ. There's lots of research supporting the benefits of companionship, such as the impact of pets on the elderly, the blind, or the lonely. Recently I received research detailing how even earth worms may seem to prefer being together over being isolated.
Quoting the research article, "Ants colonize. Fish shoal. Flamingos flock and caribou herd. Earth is populated by inherently social beings. Even lowly worms seek out the benefits of companionship. New research has dissected the social proclivities of a model worm, identifying a single type of neuron -- RMG -- that "decides" whether these worms will mingle with their fellows or keep to themselves." (Neurons That Control Sociability In Worms Defined, Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 21:28 in Biology & Nature.)
It's as if all of creation is genetically crafted for companionship. Romans 8 tells how all of "creation eagerly waits with anticipation" for Christ to return, even "groaning together." (v. 18-25)
Watching my precious father-in-law recently say his earthly farewell to his wife of 73 years and now living without her companionship reminds me of how we are deeply crafted by God for companionship. "It is not good for the man to be alone..." (Gen. 2:18)
What a comfort to hear Jesus say, "Surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matt. 18:20)
Grateful He is WITH me...dmc

PS - Happy 7th Birthday to our grandson, Noah Michael Colaw!!!



3 comments:

  1. Scriptures cited today are all very familiar. I am encouraged by the reality of God’s many promises to be with his children ALWAYS. I often pray “go with us (or me) today as…”. Perhaps I should be praying “thank you that you ARE and WILL BE with me wherever I go”. I don’t know how people make it without His companionship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this devotion today! I have felt distant from God and I have even at times felt as if he wasn't with me because anxiety was so strong. Recently I FELT His presence at a time when anxiety usually would have took over. I was put in a situation that could have been very uncomfortable. When I saw the situation arise, I went directly to an internal conversation with God. What a calming peace that came over me! I am so grateful that He was there because I was in a situation that could have caused disasterous repercussions had I been a basket case of anxiety! Thank you Lord for your promise and peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen...I understand that amazing difference of His Presence & Companionship when things would ordinarily create anxiety. What an amazing GIFT! Thanks for your sharing!

    ReplyDelete