Welcome! Let's Do Devotions Together!

Let's grow together!
Here's how God is using the daily readings from Jesus Calling to speak into my life.
What is He saying to YOU? Share it with someone & have a BLESSED day in Jesus!

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Knowing vs. Believing God's Love

"I am the Gift that continuously gives... a radical concept... perfect Love... not subject to variation. (However) what does vary is your awareness of my loving Presence." (377)
Some years ago I realized that it was far easier for me to believe that God would love YOU than it was for me to believe that God would love ME! Somehow I had come to a very flawed assumption that God's love for others was much more certain than God's love would be for me.
(I've been inclined to see my own flaws and shortcomings much more readily than seeing others' and I'd overlaid that inclination on to God, also.)
One of the passages from today's devotional helped me to see this from a new perspective.
1 John 4:16-17 "And we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and the one who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him. In this, love is perfected with us so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; for we are as He is in this world."
Applying these biblical insights challenged my flawed assumptions because:
1. Although I may KNOW about God's Love that does not mean I really BELIEVE it.
2. I must move what I KNOW about God's Love to a place where I BELIEVE it.
3. KNOWING about God's love and personally BELIEVING it means I process that truth in a different region of my brain where cognitive concepts can be personally applied!
4. Taking the truth of God's Love to a new level means I have infused His Love into every aspect of my life...not just as a 'fact' in my head but as a 'act' of my heart.
5. I must intentionally decide to believe MORE in, and respond MORE from, the perspective of God's Love than from my flawed assumption that undermined my personal application of God's Love.
6. God's Love allows me to experience "perfect love" which offers me confidence and security rather than fear or doubt. (I John 4:18)
7. God's Love activates a new purpose for living - giving God's Love to those around us. Being aware, as an extension of Him, that "we are as He is in this world!" (I John 4:17)
These Truths have challenged me. I must receive and believe God's Love to be...
Philanthropically & Practically His...dmc

2 comments:

  1. Dawn, your comments today almost perfectly describe my concept of God’s love. I’ve always been inclined to see my flaws and shortcomings more readily than I saw those of others. Therefore, I have struggled with “forgiving” myself as a result of my limited concept of God’s love. The scripture from today’s devotional that really spoke to me is Deuteronomy 33:27. “The eternal God is our hiding place; he carries us in his arms.” (CEV) Imagine that! From infancy to old age he carries us in his arms—no matter what our weaknesses, flaws, failures or successes are. He loves ME. What a blessed concept!

    Referring back to yesterday’s devotional and your response to the posting—“My foot is trying to keep up with me...and I'm trying to keep it UP! “ Dr. Lewis told me that my reconstructive foot surgery would require a very long recovery. He is very pleased with my progress, but how could I have imagined that seven months after surgery I would still be struggling with “My foot is trying to keep up with me...and I'm trying to keep it UP! “ I’m glad “he carries me in his arms”--and for all the assistive devices available.

    A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and all your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear from you, Amelia! I certainly understand your thoughts concerning the personal application of God's Love...and am also encouraged by the truths in Deut. 33:27. Also...the need to keep my foot UP for a good recovery! Smile!

    ReplyDelete