Welcome! Let's Do Devotions Together!

Let's grow together!
Here's how God is using the daily readings from Jesus Calling to speak into my life.
What is He saying to YOU? Share it with someone & have a BLESSED day in Jesus!

Friday, June 3, 2016

Spiritually Sleepy

"Fears and worries...will encircle you, seeking entrance, so you must stay alert. ..turning back fear before it can gain a foothold." (162)
Remember a time when you tried to "stay alert" and it seemed impossible to do so? I have certainly struggled with staying alert, even dreaming that I was AWAKE, when I had really briefly fallen ASLEEP ...driving down the road! Yikes!
As our boys were growing up they would sometimes vacillate from being spiritually passionate and then spiritually indifferent. At times, when they didn't seem as tuned-in and alert to spiritual things, they were also more inclined to give in to temptation. So, I would occasionally ask if they were getting "spiritually sleepy."
I know that when I become spiritually sleepy it's harder to "stay alert" and fight off the fears and worries this world throws my direction.
Keepin' My Eyes Wide Open...dmc

PS - I'm including some great insights from Kay, Melissa & Carolynn. Thanks, ladies, for your awesome comments & great wisdom!
From Kay...This devotion also reminded me of 2 Tim. 1:7: God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of POWER, of love and a sound mind. That is what I want! So, why do I get fearful of stupid things, like speaking to a group of people, doing something new, etc?! I do not want to be spiritually sleepy. I definitely needed this devo! I actually should have read it yesterday, before I spoke to a group of out of town visitors:)
From Melissa...I like that Kay! I've been there. 1 John 4:18 says, "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." I know I will always have some sort of fear or worry in my life (I'm human), but having God's love will quiet that fear/worry."My Peace displaces fears and worries".(162) The only thing that I really fear is living life without His love and that is why I must take time to be in his word. "Sit quietly in My Love-Light, while I bless you with radiant Peace. Turn your whole being to trusting and loving me." (162)
From Carolynn...So, why DO I sometimes get fearful of "stupid" things? I really liked the 2 Tim 1:17 scripture also...I too, want the spirit of POWER, of love and a sound mind. A very wise Christian lady once told me when I am in doubt, needing to make a choice, decision about something, etc., to ask myself the question, "will this choice, action, or do these feelings have eternal consequences?" For me, answering that "plumb line" question honestly has given me much peace and freedom, "displacing fears and worries" (162) 2 Thess 3:16 The Lord of peace himself gives me His peace at all times and in every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment