Welcome! Let's Do Devotions Together!

Let's grow together!
Here's how God is using the daily readings from Jesus Calling to speak into my life.
What is He saying to YOU? Share it with someone & have a BLESSED day in Jesus!

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Wake Up, Perk Up

"As you get out of bed in the morning, be aware of My Presence with you. You may not be thinking clearly yet, but I am. Your early morning thoughts tend to be anxious ones until you get connected with Me. Invite Me into your thoughts by whispering My Name." (188)
Over the years I have noticed that my first waking thoughts can often be anxious or even rather self-sabotoging. I can easily start the day feeling anxious about the demands of that day, filled with many I-should-have, could-have or if-I-would-have thoughts that accuse and can undermine me.
So, I do much better when I promptly redirect my first conscious thoughts. I will often think of a praise song or some inspirational hymn. Even some children's songs can perk me up as I am getting up. Dr. David Amen's challenge, to think of at least 5 things you are thankful for each morning, has been proven to change the neuro-chemical environment of our brains. Even smiling, first thing in the morning, according to brain research, can jump-start our day in the right direction!
I want my brain to be spiritually and neuro-chemically healthy so that I can be most productive and pleasant all day long. It radically helps me, when I "face the day cheerfully." Incidentally, YOU are one of my 5 things I am thankful for today!
Waking Up with Praise...dmc

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog after starting Jesus Calling two days ago. I do the same thing with Children's Songs. When I was reading the scripture that went along with today's devotional - I kept finding more and more passages that go along with it. I love how it said to invite God in every morning - start your day with Him and know that He's with you through every step of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I'm SO glad you are joining the Jesus Calling journey!
      Each day is a Divine adventure. Love those change-your-life songs we sang as kids that seem to really stick with us. "Every day with Jesus is sweeter than the day before..." Amen!

      Delete