Welcome! Let's Do Devotions Together!

Let's grow together!
Here's how God is using the daily readings from Jesus Calling to speak into my life.
What is He saying to YOU? Share it with someone & have a BLESSED day in Jesus!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Micro-Mini Vacations

"Find Me in the midst of the maelstrom...Whisper My Name...I am still with you." (240)
Although we may not be as familiar with the word "maelstrom" we are very familiar with one of it's meanings: a restless, disordered, or tumultuous state of affairs, a vortex of conflicting currents.
I often feel the vortex of conflicting schedules, expectations and various daily demands. Years ago I started to practice (what I called) "micro-mini vacations" where I would close my eyes, breathe deep and prayerfully meet with Jesus. I often envision Jesus and myself in a calm, quiet location. I will breathe in His protective, peaceful Presence and exhale the distracting "maelstrom" within me. It really works for me...because HE really works for me! Even just whispering His Name calms my tendency to get caught in whirlpools of expectations. Jesus knows just how hazardous they are for me!
Whispering Whirlpools Away...dmc

3 comments:

  1. My mind and heart responded to the second paragraph of today’s devotional. “Accept each day as it comes to you. Do not waste time and energy wishing for a different set of circumstances. Instead, trust Me enough to yield to My design and purposes.” When I have a decision to make, I tend to carefully consider every detail of every option and later realize that I wasted a lot of time and energy. I believe God expects us to use the brain He gave us. I ask myself “How do I balance these two concepts?” Yesterday was a day like that. At the end of the day I felt at peace because I believe God helped me to sort out the details and come to a wise conclusion. Why does it take me so long? I seem to be just made that way. Is that an excuse? I’m crying out to Jesus to help me to “accept…trust…and yield” more quickly. My husband would like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that this devo would come at this time. I find myself in a maelstrom of emotions with my first child off to college. One minute I'm fine and the next I'm balling like a baby. Then I am excited for him which turns to frustration because he hasn't called (or text) me. "Do not waste your time and energy wishing for a different set of circumstances."(240) With all this I still have to deal with all the other things going on in life. However, I do know one thing and that is my Savior will carry me through it all.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqvR1AJSLhU

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the song...Through It All! What a great musical reminder that no matter what...we can trust God in every situation!
    Protecting our time and energy for the things that HE wants us to focus on. Thanks for your good comments!

    ReplyDelete