Welcome! Let's Do Devotions Together!

Let's grow together!
Here's how God is using the daily readings from Jesus Calling to speak into my life.
What is He saying to YOU? Share it with someone & have a BLESSED day in Jesus!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wandering Thoughts

"I am intimately involved in all your moments, and I am training you to be aware of Me at all times. Your assignment is to collaborate with me...(when) your mind goes off in tangents...do not be alarmed by your inability to remain focused on Me...redirect your mind...whisper My Name." (248)
I've battled with wandering thoughts, even in the midst of prayer, bible reading or worship. That tendency troubled me... until I discovered how research affirms that most of us can catch ourselves thinking about things other than what we are actually doing much of the time. This cognition tendency can be a huge hindrance or, if handled creatively, can be a great asset, especially when it comes to prayer!
So, I started using those wandering thoughts like mental stepping stones to redirect myself back to Jesus. Now, whenever my mind wanders, I immediately talk to Jesus about it. I've discovered this allows me to confess quickly and to "bring every thought captive to the obedience of Christ." (2 Cor. 10:5)
With quick confession comes the ability to ponder the situation from a whole new perspective! Wandering thoughts become another opportunity for prayer!
I've noticed that when I get distracted and share it with Jesus I am immediately put back on track, prayerfully "collaborating" with Him. I have talked to Jesus about many things that would have never made my official prayer list, but they've certainly become a part of my prayer journey.
This kind of unceasing prayer becomes a type of ongoing conversation with Jesus, who's become a close traveling companion. He is interested in the landscape of my mind and weighs in on the various scenes and conversations my mind experiences. The relationship that develops is enjoyable and rewarding!
What a great way to intercede for others, for situations and for my own deepest desires and hurts that are often too difficult to express otherwise.
Catching Wandering Thoughts with Pondering Prayers...dmc

3 comments:

  1. “Wandering thoughts become another opportunity for prayer! …He is interested in the landscape of my mind…” (Dawn’s comments today) and “I know every thought before you think it, every word before you speak it.” (quoted from yesterday’s devotional) God made me—both my body and my mind and knows every detail about me much better than I know myself. I have been pondering these ideas and practicing whispering the name of Jesus asking Him to help me to understand and “collaborate” with Him in the details of my life. He truly is “intimately involved” in all my moments. By “casting my cares upon Him…” (I Peter 5:7) I’ve noticed that my burdens seem much lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...(when) your mind goes off in tangents...do not be alarmed by your inability to remain focused on Me...redirect your mind...whisper My Name." (248) This is so freeing for me as I tend to "beat myself up" when my mind begins to wander. Usually, I do catch myself and ask God for His help to redirect my mind toward Him. Have never thought of this as confessing and bringing my thoughts captive to God's obedience (2 Cor 10:5)...good point Dawn Marie. I Will ponder this concept today as “I collaborate with Him in this training process.” (248) Thankful that He “hangs in there with me” regardless of where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great insights! Thanks for sharing!
    We are all growing together...what a great partnership in this Jesus Journey!
    He's Calling...we're listening!

    ReplyDelete