Welcome! Let's Do Devotions Together!

Let's grow together!
Here's how God is using the daily readings from Jesus Calling to speak into my life.
What is He saying to YOU? Share it with someone & have a BLESSED day in Jesus!

Friday, December 9, 2016

Risky, Freak-me-out Faith

"Be willing to go out on a limb with Me. If that is where I am leading you, it is the safest place to be. Your desire to live a risk-free life is a form of unbelief...your attempts to minimize risk (keep you from) following Me wholeheartedly... relinquish your tendency to play it safe. My sovereign Presence protects you wherever you go." (360)
At times my own "risk-factor" can really puzzle me. For instance, I am willing to risk tasting a strange, new food, but less likely to risk some new hair-do.
Overall, I'm not especially fond of risking, even my parenting was geared more toward playing it smart and safe; only taking carefully calculated risks. However, taking a risk for God's glory was a whole other thing in our home. We applauded godly risks, viewing them as great opportunities to live out our faith.
Hebrews 11:6 says, “Without faith, it is impossible to please God.” God wants us to be risk-takers, but He does not want us to be risky fools. Knowing the difference is a risk-trick in itself!
Prayerfully letting Him guide us helps to determine if the risk is His idea!  Is it necessary? Is it worth it? Are there other wiser alternatives? Weighing all that out can help us determine whether the benefits of a risk will outweigh the liabilities.
For me, if the benefits are eternal, giving God glory, then I will more readily take the risk and step out on that "limb" with God-confidence. "Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in (me) will continue that good work until the day Jesus comes for (me.)" (Philippians 1:6)
With all that said, I honestly still prefer stepping on solid ground over climbing out on a limb. Limb-dwellers inspire me, yet baffle me, while others can just freak me out!
However, I was also pondering how fruit tends to grow... out on the limbs! That may be why limb-dwellers often enjoy a much more fruitful life! So, today, I will...
Risk it on the Limb....dmc

No comments:

Post a Comment