Welcome! Let's Do Devotions Together!

Let's grow together!
Here's how God is using the daily readings from Jesus Calling to speak into my life.
What is He saying to YOU? Share it with someone & have a BLESSED day in Jesus!

Friday, December 9, 2016

Risky, Freak-me-out Faith

"Be willing to go out on a limb with Me. If that is where I am leading you, it is the safest place to be. Your desire to live a risk-free life is a form of unbelief...your attempts to minimize risk (keep you from) following Me wholeheartedly... relinquish your tendency to play it safe. My sovereign Presence protects you wherever you go." (360)
At times my own "risk-factor" can really puzzle me. For instance, I am willing to risk tasting a strange, new food, but less likely to risk a slightly new hair-do.
Overall, I'm not especially fond of risking, even my parenting was geared more toward playing it smart and safe; only taking carefully calculated risks. However, taking a risk for God's glory was a whole other thing. We applauded godly risks, viewing them as great opportunities to live out our faith.
Hebrews 11:6 says, “Without faith, it is impossible to please God.” God wants us to be risk-takers, but He does not want us to take foolish risks. Knowing the difference is a risk-trick in itself!
Prayerfully letting Him guide us helps to determine if the risk is necessary, if it is worth it and if there are other alternatives. Weighing all that out can help us determine whether the benefits of a risk will outweigh the liabilities.
For me, if the benefits are eternal, giving God glory, then I will more readily take the risk and step out on that "limb" with God-confidence. "Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in (me) will continue that good work until the day Jesus comes for (me.)" (Philippians 1:6)
With all that said, I honestly still prefer stepping on solid ground over climbing out on a limb. Limb-dwellers inspire me, yet baffle me, while others just freak me out! But knowing that HE is Sovereign helps me remember that He So-Reigns, even when I'm asked to...
Risk it on the Limb....dmc

5 comments:

  1. I like the statement that basically says it is safer to go out on a limb with God instead of always playing it safe. Harvey and I have always said that concerning his travels with Voice of the Martyrs. It's not always easy, but we tend to grow during the times that we step out of the box and our comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that this blog had a "like" button. Because there is many mornings I would push it. This morning I needed this and "like" this post.

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings from Honduras again. This devo was aimed straight at me! As I am here in a foreign country making contacts and checking out possibilities for coming back for an extended period of time, I am at that crossroad. Do I leave the comfort and safety of my home and “go out on that limb”? I know He is always with me, guiding, protecting and comforting. Only He knows what the next chapter in my life will be. Trusting Him…even if it is at the end of that limb…..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good insights...thanks! I appreciate your feedback, Peggy.
    We will be praying for clear direction in your life, Carolynn. Next chapter could get interesting! :)
    Kay is right...basically being anywhere WITH Jesus is better than anywhere else WITHOUT Him! Even if it is at the end of that limb!
    I was thinking of how fruit grows on the limbs, so we can be fed just when we need it most!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to share on this I'm not one to like to step out of my comfort zone. Which really is not a comfort in of itself. So rapped in self .but today I will step out on a limb reaching out to Godinner in faith. I'm glad he can meet us guide us in unsafe water.and the scripture he that began a good work in us that he started he will finish was my graduation scripture from a Christian program. You see I was bound in so many things but today I have hope in him thanks for letting me share and reading my post. I was encouraged by others post thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete