Welcome! Let's Do Devotions Together!

Let's grow together!
Here's how God is using the daily readings from Jesus Calling to speak into my life.
What is He saying to YOU? Share it with someone & have a BLESSED day in Jesus!

Saturday, April 23, 2016

"Onerous" Days

Here's a word I do not use often, "onerous," yet I have experienced it many times. It means burdensome, oppressive, wearisome, heavy or weighty. I have certainly had weighty days. Where I felt burdened, weary or heavy-hearted over some task in ministry, in parenting, counseling or even in the more ordinary things of life, like spring cleaning, laundry, meal preparation, entertaining or other trivial responsibilities that tend to pile up.
"There are many burned-out Christians who think more is always better, who deem it unspiritual to say no." (118) While learning to say a healthy "no" is smart, it has not been easy for me. There are many valid concerns and worthy activities that need to be accomplished that God has NOT assigned to me. Knowing God will "never lead (me) to do something without equipping (me) for the task" is a great comfort and a great caution.
Comfort - He WILL certainly equip me to do the task He's assigned to me.
Caution - I'm equipped for tasks HE's assigned not for EVERY task that comes my way.
Being equipped for one task does not necessarily equip me to do EVERY task that needs to be done! Even fairly simple things can be very "onerous" when God's Power is not in it...or in me to do it!
Have a Blessed "Onerous" free day...dmc

3 comments:

  1. Thanks -- you are so good. This was great for me as Dana and I are in the middle of planning Tom's sister's wedding. Dana is the wedding coordinator and she has asked me to make the silk flower bouquets, corsages, bouts, and the ceremony flower arrangements. I must remember just one task per day. LV U

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Joyce...may you been blessed with the time and energy to match your creativity!! Greetings to you & Dana! LV U 2

    ReplyDelete