Welcome! Let's Do Devotions Together!

Let's grow together!
Here's how God is using the daily readings from Jesus Calling to speak into my life.
What is He saying to YOU? Share it with someone & have a BLESSED day in Jesus!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Perils of Pearlers

"Adverse circumstances are normal in a fallen world. Expect them...!" So, how do we find the Pearl of Peace in the midst of such adversity?
Today's devo reminded me of several opportunities I've had in Hawaii to choose a shell, in hopes of finding a beautiful pearl. The history of pearlers (those who harvest pearls) is filled with great suffering. The dangers of diving, being drowned, attacked by sharks, weathering storms, wearing awkward, heavy helmets and managing equipment caused many to be lost at sea. Once the shells were gathered the process of finding a pearl was wearisome. Their hands were raw with cuts from handling hundreds of shells that had to then be boiled, creating a sickening odor, to find only 2 or 3 pearls! What a perilous task with minimal reward!
We live in an adverse, fallen world where Pearls of Peace are often hidden in hardship. Jesus, our "Pearl of Great Price," has promised to help us to find Pearls of Peace in the midst of our trials and costly hardships, because He knows that hidden "spiritual blessings come wrapped in trials."
Incidentally, I've learned that the ugliest shells usually contain the prettiest pearls! I have earrings and a necklace as proof!
A String of Pearls for His Glory...dmc

1 comment:

  1. I so loved the scripture used today of Matthew 13:46! It really made me think. Am I willing to "sell everything" for Christ? I should be! He thought me to be a pearl so valuable he sold everything for me(and you).

    ReplyDelete